ODEON, the UK & Ireland’s largest cinema chain, has confirmed it will open a luxury cinema in the heart of Durham.
Located in the Riverwalk, a waterside destination on the banks of the River Wear, the new cinema will be open just in time for summer blockbusters.
Guests to ODEON Luxe Durham will be treated to 403 luxury, handmade reclining seats across six cinema screens, offering film fans triple the legroom and increased personal space to ensure the best experience with in-cinema comfort.
The enhanced comfort will be coupled with a fully-reclining, state-of-the-art, 94-seat iSense screen, delivering a truly immersive cinema experience. Taller than a double decker bus, the screen will measure 15m x 6.2m, and is curved to maximise light reflection, packing cutting-edge Dolby ATMOS 3D sound and 4K digital projectors that deliver almost nine million pixels for an even clearer, ultra-high definition picture.
This will be complemented with breathtaking sound delivered by over 189 speakers across all auditoriums, with all standard screens packing Dolby 7.1 surround sound and state-of-the-art picture quality.
The impressive new cinema will also create 38 new jobs in the local area, with team members receiving the full training and exciting career opportunities available at ODEON.
ODEON Luxe Durham opens in time for must-see films including X-Men: Dark Phoenix (7 June), the action-packed Men in Black: International (14 June), the highly awaited return of everyone’s favorite toy team in Toy Story 4 (21 June) the remake of the iconic Lion King (19 July), the next Quentin Tarantino film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (9 August) and not forgetting the exciting new addition to the Star Wars franchise, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (19th December).
The cinema will also feature an extensive range of delicious food and drink options including lattice fries, chicken strips, sweet and salted popcorn, hot dogs, nachos, Tango Ice Blast and a Coca Cola Freestyle machine with over 100 different flavours to enjoy. It will also boast an Oscar’s Bar serving a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages.
Miranda Harding, General Manager at ODEON Luxe Durham said: “We are hugely excited to bring the ODEON Luxe experience to Durham, sharing our passion for film with the local community. The luxurious offerings, best in class cinema technology and delicious food and drink are sure to impress our guests.”
Key features of the new ODEON Luxe Durham will include:
- 403 handmade fully-reclining seats across 6 screens, with ample leg-room, great comfort and individual retractable tables
- A cutting-edge 94 seat iSense screen, delivering a truly immersive, ultra-high-definition cinema experience, with 4K projection and Dolby ATMOS 3D sound
- Over 189 speakers across all auditoriums, with all standard screens with Dolby 7.1 Surround sound and 30 multi-channel amplifiers
- In-screen lighting systems to minimise distractions and optimise viewing angles with light uniformity on all screens
- Dolby Fidelio Audio Description system and Hearing-Impaired system across all screens for guests who are hard of hearing
- All six screens are wheelchair accessible with 12 wheelchair spaces throughout all screens
- Food & drink offering, including lattice fries, chicken strips, sweet and salted popcorn, hot dogs, nachos, Tango Ice Blast and a Coca Cola Freestyle machine with over 100 different flavours to enjoy
- Oscar’s Bar serving a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, along with freshly brewed Costa Coffee onsite
- ODEON’s sub-brands including ODEON Kids, ODEON Silver Cinema & ODEON Event Cinema